Killaleigh Castle is for sale with Sothebys' International Realty. Included in the sale of the castle is the estate's main residence – 18th Century Sopwell Hall – and 300 acres of well-timbered land.
An impressive 16th-century Irish castle built by the Gaelic MacEgan Clan circa 1590 and positioned within an attractive well-timbered estate of some 300 acres or 121.4 hectares that also includes a distinguished early 18th-century Irish country house.
Killaleigh Castle is situated in a triangle of the historic towns of Birr, Roscrea and Nenagh. The nearest small town is Borrisokane, which is some 5 miles or 8 kilometres away. The International airports at Dublin, Cork and Shannon are within easy driving distance. The castle is unoccupied and whilst in need of complete restoration is largely intact. Comprising some 3,976 square feet or 369 square metres it stands within a walled enclosure that also contains the Bailiff’s House, comprising some 1,480 square feet or 137.5 square metres, and a fine range of cut-stone outbuildings that extend to some 5,812 square feet or 540 square metres of net internal space. Collectively 11,268 square feet or 1,046 square metres of internal space.
In 1745 the impressive Sopwell Hall was built on the estate to become the principal and statement house on the estate, the castle then becoming uninhabited. Privately and centrally positioned deep within mature parkland on the estate the design is attributed to the renowned architect Francis Bindon and conforms to the best traditions of early Georgian architecture. The accommodation extends to 14,235 square feet or 1,322 square metres and includes 5 principal reception rooms and 10 bedrooms. A feature of the house is the abundance of natural light with ample tall and large glazed windows.
The magnificent reception hall, lined with distinctive fluted Doric pilasters and divided by a screen of arches, is spacious and well-proportioned. A morning room, study, drawing room and dining room are each impressive and feature ornate cornicing and large marble chimneypieces with open fires. The broad carved staircase leads to a generously large landing on the first floor. Impressive architecturally, there are six matching scagliola sienna marble columns and a large, perfectly proportioned domed ceiling, with a glazed atrium. There are 5 principal bedrooms and 4 bathrooms on this floor. The Master Bedroom Suite occupies the south-eastern corner. The second floor provides 5 further bedrooms and a bathroom and has a games room and study. The lower ground floor includes a sitting room, large kitchen, wine cellar, laundry and staff apartment. A studio in the adjacent courtyard comprises some 660 square feet or 61 square metres. There are two gate lodges and a Gardener’s Cottage. The house is a short distance from the castle. Each able to be accessed independently.
Perimeter woodland on the estate creates a great sense of privacy and seclusion. Among the many ancient and specimen trees throughout the estate are some particularly fine Spanish chestnut, a noted ancient beech wood and a rare Siberian crab-apple tree. The woodlands include indigenous oak, beech, ash, larch and spruce. All through the year there is a kaleidoscope of colour throughout the estate. There is, too, much wildlife to be found on the estate. Red squirrels, pine martens, foxes and hares are regularly sighted, and buzzards, owls and falcons can also be found. The Coillte forestry, circa 500 acres, which adjoins the estate provides great amenity for long walks in beautiful surroundings. Of the circa 300 acres or 121.4 hectares within the estate about two-thirds comprise mature parkland grazing and one-third is in woodland.
Whilst being wonderfully secluded the estate is nearby to town amenities and easily accessible, with the M7 motorway accessible some 12.4 miles or 20 kilometres away.
EIRCODE [Property Specific Code] E53 YN99
GPS Location 59.9924039 (latitude), -8.0490516 (longitude)
BER (Building Energy Rating): Exempt
For full sale information, including floorplans, contact Selling Agent David Ashmore